About Melissa Kucinski
Melissa is a lawyer and neutral who works on domestic and international family law cases. She is one of the few neutrals that routinely mediates cases under the Hague Child Abduction Convention. She is one of the earliest adopters of Online Dispute Resolution in family cases. She authored the seminal handbook on representing minor children in domestic and international custody, relocation, and abduction cases. A former consultant for the Hague Conference on Private International Law, a fellow of the International Academy of Family Lawyers, and a member of the U.S. Secretary of State’s Advisory Committee on Private International Law, Melissa works with lawyers and clients on complex multi-jurisdictional family law cases.
Family Law Services
MK Family Law provides a wide range of family law services in domestic and overseas cases, including in cases of divorce, support, custody, and child abduction.
- Melissa works within the court systems in D.C. and Maryland to represent clients involved in family law litigation, including multi-jurisdictional divorce, custody, support and abduction matters.
- Melissa works with clients to resolve their family law disputes out of court. She harnasses her network of experts to negotiate a comprehensive solution for the client.
Alternative Dispute Resolution// VIEW
- Melissa serves as a neutral intermediary and works with individuals to craft a comprehensive and uniquely tailored solution to their family dispute. She is skilled at using technology to faciliate remote mediation, having taken to this practice over a decade ago to work with her international clients. Melissa is trained as a mediator, facilitator, and parent coordinator.
Collaborative Law// VIEW
- Melissa works with clients to resolve their family disputes out of court in the formal collaborative process as counsel for her clients. She also serves as a neutral on international family law issues in collaborative cases.
International Law Services
MK Family Law provides case strategy and consultation in complex multi-jurisdictional and international family law cases.
MK Family Law has a network of foreign counsel, experts, professionals, and has worked with international organizations and government agencies to achieve comprehensive results for clients.
MK Family Law works on cases of international divorces, support, custody, child relocation, and child abduction.
Case Support and Strategy// VIEW
- Melissa is consulted by counsel in the U.S. and overseas to provide legal information, case strategy, research, legal opinions, work product reviews, and guidance to navigate complex jurisdictional issues, including on issues of custody, relocation, child abduction, support, maintenance, apostille, judgment enforcement, and overseas service of process.
Expert Witness// VIEW
- Melissa testifies as an expert witness on child abduction and child abduction prevention laws, research, and resources, including complex international child abduction situations.
Judicial Assistance// VIEW
- Melissa can provide assistance in obtaining evidence in the United States for use in foreign family law cases. She can also work with U.S. attorneys and clients to secure evidence and service overseas using the relevant Hague Conventions.
- Melissa is one of the few U.S. mediators experienced in acting as a neutral for complex international parental child abduction cases, including those cases brought under the Hague Child Abduction Convention. She routinely uses technology to facilitate these cross-border processes.
MK Family Law is routinely appointed as an attorney to represent minor children in their parents’ custody litigation and in Hague Abduction matters.
Court-Appointed Attorney for Children// VIEW
- Melissa is routinely court-appointed to represent the interests of children in their parent's custody case. She also represents minor children in Hague Abduction cases in state and federal court.
- Melissa authored "A Practical Handbook for the Child's Attorney: Effectively Representing Children in Custody Cases," for the American Bar Association.
Training & Education
MK Family Law works with lawyers, mediators, and organizations by offering high quality training and education. She has been adjunct faculty at The George Washington University School of Law since 2010.
- Melissa designs advanced family mediation training, and has worked with the American Bar Association, the Tokyo Bar Association, the Center for Alternative Dispute Resolution, and the University of California at Hastings Law to offer these trainings.
Judicial & Legal Education// VIEW
- Melissa routinely speaks on complex multi-jurisdictional family law issues and international family mediation.